Purple Pacific asparagus are high performing, producing higher yields than Purple Passion as well as many of the green varieties. It is unique in the way it holds a deep purple color through the season and is very tender with a sweet flavor, distinctive from green varieties.
Planting Information for Asparagus Plants
- 12" – 14" between plants unless otherwise specified
- 6" – 8" between plants is recommended for Purple Passion
- 3’ between rows
- Furrows should be 8" – 10" deep for most soils
- Furrows of 8" is recommended for heavier clay–like soils
- Add 30 percent sand to the soil to help with drainage. This will help them from root rot and fungal growth.
- Jersey Giant asparagus Plants need a well–drained site
- Lighter soils may require more frequent watering
- Important to maintain moisture during establishment year
- Before planting Jersey Supreme asparagus plants, add 5lbs of 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft
- In establishment year dress in August with 1 lb 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft and work into top 2" of soil
- In following years use 2lbs 10–10–10 per 100 sq ft in early spring and again following harvest
- Lime, bone meal, and super phosphate help maintain proper soil levels